Monday, August 07, 2006

Running of the Brides:

I don't think of myself as a lucky person, but every once in a while the stars align for a truly unforgettable experience. In this case, the "stars" were the recent engagement of my good friend Kelly, who happens to live in D.C., and the annual Filene's Basement "Running of the Brides" one-day gown sale.

Filene's Basement is like Nordstrom's Rack, a place to get high-end clothes, accessories and home items for less. In the case of the bridal gowns, dresses that retailed for $800 to $8,000 are on sale for $250 to $700. This creates complete pandemonium. I called the store to see what time we should arrive for the 8 a.m. door opening. The operator had never been to the sale, but she had heard that people camped out all night and suggested we get there as soon as we could, like maybe 5 a.m.

We opted for 6:45, at which point the line was halfway down one block, around the
corner, and halfway up the next block. I would guess that there were maybe 75 brides, plus entourages, ahead of us. Many were wearing matching t-shirts that said “Team Baker” or “Maid of Bridezilla.” Clearly forces to be reckoned with.

Even though we were definitely in the first half of the line, there was not a single dress left on the racks by the time we got to the sale floor. Girls completely disregarded style or size and grabbed every dress in sight. They then stripped down right in the middle of the store and started sampling dresses. The more modest ones wore shorts and tank tops; some just about bared all. I heard one bridezilla-to-be say, “I suppose you can try it on, but even if I decide I don’t want it I’m going to hang onto it for collateral. I’m going to have to ask that you not leave my sight while you try it on.”




We were completely overwhelmed. Kelly tried on a couple dresses, then we left the madness for some brunch. By the time we came back, around 10, most of the dresses were back on the racks and the atmosphere was a little more relaxed. And, much to our surprise, Kelly found the perfect dress! Best of all, we didn't have to punch anyone out to get it.

I can’t show it here on the off-chance that her fiancĂ© visits this page; the photo at right is one of the rejects. It just didn't go with her Nikes.

No comments: